Nicola Giannini is a Sound Artist and an Electroacoustic Music Composer based in Montreal, Canada. His practice focuses on immersive music, both acousmatic and performed. He is interested in sounds that evoke physical materials.
His works have been presented at the Toronto International Electroacoustic Symposium (TIES), San Francisco Tape Festival, Cube Fest, ICMC, New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival (USA), TEDxLondon, Sound-Image Colloquium, Serge Postgraduate Conference (UK), Sound Spaces (Sweden), File Festival (Brazil), Electroacoustic Music International Exhibition (Mexico), Palazzo Strozzi Museum, Audior and Tempo Reale (Italy), among others. In July 2017 he has been a guest composer at the EMS in Stockholm.
His piece “Eyes Draw Circles of Light” obtained the first prize at the Jeux de Temps / Times Play (JTTP) 2019 competition organized by the Canadian Electroacoustic Community, and an Honorable Mention at the XII° Fundación Destellos (Argentina) Electroacoustic Competition 2019. His piece “For Hannah” was chosen as finalist at the International composition competition Città di Udine 2018 and it was performed at the festival “Contemporanea”.
Originally from Italy, Nicola has a master degree in Electroacoustic Composition from the Conservatory of Florence, with honourable mention. Nicola is a doctoral student (D.Mus) at the Université de Montréal, under the supervision of Robert Normandeau, and is presently a research assistant with the Groupe de recherche en immersion spatiale (GRIS). His academic research focuses on immersive music composition, exploring from an artistic perspective the contribution of the spatial auditory perception field to sound spatialization strategies.
Nicola is one of the student coordinators at CIRMMT for the Research Axis on Expanded musical practice.
- SAT Société des arts technologiques, Montreal, Quebec – Programme de création d’œuvre immersives – October 2021
- Sporobole Centre en Art Actuel, Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada, visiting composer, September 2021.
- Guest Composer at Elektronmusikstudion EMS in Stockholm – 2017 July 24th to August 3rd. Thanks to the contribution of the Italian Culture Institute in Stockholm.
- Tempo Reale, research and production music center, Florence, Italy 2016 May to September.
- 2016 May – Musicaelettronica.it – Call for DIY sound sources: My piece Inner Out (Intimacy) has been selected for the call for works “self-built Sound sources” by musicaelettronica.it a blog created and managed by Tempo Reale.
- Cathedrals – Pietro Riparbelli – 2016 May: My recordings of the Santa Maria del Fiore church in Florence (Duomo) have been featured in the Cathedrals Project by the philosopher, composer, and sound-multimedia artist Pietro Riparbelli.